Looking back on the past week, I’m surprised at how much time I had to work on quilty things. Since my work space is right where the kids spend most of their time, I’ve found that if I leave stuff out, I can catch a quick sewing break several times during the day. I got so much prep work out of the way because they are finally old enough to leave everything alone. A generous husband who took the kids out for an afternoon this weekend and a bout of insomnia didn’t hurt either.
I’ve narrowed down my WIP list to the things I hope to work on during the rest of the month.
1. Scrappy Stash QAL at Ellison Lane Quilts: Who knew that scrappy, monochromatic, inprov, quilt-as-you-go log cabin blocks were just the thing I needed to get over my sewing anxiety? Improv doesn’t come easily to me. In this case, it’s only a handful of scraps and an 8″ block, I don’t have to worry about messing something up and ruining a whole project. I’m finding that it’s so much easier experimenting with quilting methods when I have something manageable in front of me. With that in mind, I decided to try a few blocks of spiral quilting. I figured if the first one was awful, I’d leave it out. If it was okay, but I didn’t like doing it, I could leave it in the mix as a singular surprise element. If I really liked it, I could continue and figure out a way to incorporate the randomness in the overall quilt. I ended up quilting three of my pink blocks this way and I love how they turned out.
They certainly aren’t perfect. The centers are pretty rough and I need to figure out how to get my inner circles smoother. If anyone has some tips, I’d love to hear them. I also kept spacing the lines wider as I moved to the outside. I don’t mind that part as much, since I don’t think it will be noticeable with everything else going on with the quilt top. You can see what I’m talking about better on the back.
The top block is the first one I tried. The lower left was the last one. I think I improved a little and hopefully will continue to get better as I try some more. As of this morning I have 15 blocks completely done and have started in on my orange scraps. I’d like to double that by next week.
2. Cate’s Weighted Blanket: I haven’t made any additional progress on this project. I’m still waiting to get the poly pellets I need for the center portion. Will see if I can work them into my budget before the end of the month.
3. Birds and the Bees Dream Weaver: I haven’t had a chance to work on this one either and don’t think I’ll get to it in the coming week. It will only take me a couple of sessions to piece the top, so I hope to get that done before the end of the month.
Linking up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.