Last week was an insanely busy week of sewing and posting. After focusing on the Scrappy Stash QAL, Tula Pink Sew Along and Travelin’ PicStitch Blog Hop, I was in need of a little break. I have one more commitment to finish up (one that is overdo and making me feel incredibly guilty), but I seem to have a mental block to work through. I’ve never made a bag before and although the pattern I have is well-written and straight-forward, I’m overwhelmed by the idea of it.
In the meantime, I started on bee blocks. I have wanted to take part in online bees for a while, but hadn’t found an opportunity. Then all in one month, I became a part of four different ones. Since I’m still tentative, I decided I wanted to make practice blocks first, especially before I cut into other people’s fabric.
First up is a circle block for Color Bee Shocked:
The only requirement was that there be a circle of some kind. I saw Susan Staden’s post on Canadian Abroad and shamelessly stole her idea. She wisely used freezer paper to construct her segments (I used copier paper) and used the template to iron under her circle (I just used my eyeballs). Needless to say, hers looks much better than mine! When I make the actual block for my bee mate, I will paper piece it and use a circular template to iron it under. I had never appliqued before and I’m actually pretty pleased with how that part came out.
Next was Wonky Pin Wheels for Empower at do. Good Stitches:
This block was made following this tutorial at Greenleaf Goods and liked the way it came together. So simple and easy to chain piece, but with a stunning result. I did adjust the layout slightly for my practice block so it would look better as a stand alone block in a sampler. I love the colors chosen for our bee and am looking forward to finishing these blocks up.
Then it was time to choose blocks for the 3 X 6 Mini Bee.
This was my first time trying out paper piecing so I picked what looked like an easy block:
I chose Tallahassee from Quilter’s Cache. Note to self, just because it only has four areas of printed fabric, doesn’t make it an easy block. The thick seams tripped me up a bit, especially when it came time to sew the last four sections together. When I make these for my hive, I will start sewing the last seams from the center working out. This block took the longest by far, but the end result is definitely worth it!
Finally I chose this woven block for 3 X 6 Mini Bee Sampler Hive:
I loved Jessica Kelly from SewCraftyJess Simply Woven Quilt pattern as soon as I saw it at Moda Bake Shop. In fact, I have two jellyrolls of Simply Color on my wishlist to make the twin size quilt. These blocks are pieced to be joined together with an even amount of background between each strip. Since they will be used independently as bee blocks, I am going to make the center background squares slightly smaller, so there is more background showing around the edges when they’re pieced with different blocks.
I really like how these all look together so far. I chose the same colors I’m using for the 3 X 6 Mini Bee (Scrappy Spectrum) for my prints and then chose low-volume neutral and text prints for my background fabrics. I know I’ve done this before, but I’m not tired of it yet.
On the agenda for next week…
1. Suck it up and make some bags ~ I’m going to make this my first and primary priority. I think it will go quickly once I get started, I just need to push myself over the hump. I know I will feel much better once it is done.
2. Bee Blocks!
That should be plenty. I’m linking up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.