Last Spring I jumped into quilting and pieced a bed quilt for my daughter Josie. I selected 19 fat quarters from my LQS, threw in 5 Flea Market Fancy prints and based it on this stack and slash pattern. I learned a lot about fabric selection with this one. The directional ABC print gave me fits. It was a fat quarter, so when I flipped it so the letters would be in the right direction, I didn’t have enough fabric at the top. I ended up inserting one slice of the back fabric to make up for the lost chunk. This ended up being a happy accident, because that quirk is probably my favorite part of this quilt top. When purchasing that fabric I was focused on the letters and didn’t give much thought to the pictures interspersed with them. Since this quilt used relatively narrow strips, several of the people where cut in unfortunate ways. Luckily I had extra blocks, so the worst of those cuts migrated to the back.
I love that the pieced stripe on the back matched with the large print make this quilt reversible. My measurements were a little off, so I’m especially proud that the strip ended up relatively straight and centered when I was done quilting. Piecing the large print was a pain, but Josie loved this fabric, so it had to be done.
I waffled on the quilting for most of last year. With the wonky cuts, I had a hard time visualizing it quilted in anything other than a stiple. Josie was anxiously waiting for me to finish and it’s clear that I’m not going to learn to FMQ anytime soon, so I had to come up with another plan. After using the QAYG method for my Log Mansion and straight-line quilting a couple of patchwork quilts, I decided I was confident enough to try a random crosshatch. I didn’t initially plan on quilting it this densely, but more I added the better the organic lines looked
Josie’s Quilt Stats:
Fabric: 24 Fat Quarters including Michael Miller Dick and Jane Collection and
Denyse Schmidt’s Flea Market Fancy
Back: Dick and Jane Fun Park for Michael Miller
Binding: Jane Sassaman for Freespirit Fabrics
Finished Size: 60.5″ X 78″
Finished Date: January 2013